• Number of Volunteers per year: over 300
• Areas That Volunteers Serve:
The following volunteer assignments are among the most popular for our volunteers:
• Med/Surg Stepdown Units – Answer call lights and direct patient request to the appropriate RN. Escort patients to discharge pharmacy, Restock supplies and notify charge nurse when supplies need to be ordered, Prepare bedside tables for meals Spending time with patients talking and leading certain patient activities, such as games, music, and movies
• Emergency Department – Volunteers help and respect interactions with all patients and visitors within the ED and its waiting room. Volunteer check gurney supply, canvas hospital units and clinics for ED stretchers. Check oxygen tanks, check heart monitors and confirm that they are plugged in. Check for STAT specimens, especially Chemistry/Hematology and Blood Bank; route patient medical records; Assist in transport of patients from ED to nursing units; serve as runner to Pharmacy and to Central Processing and Distribution; and administer closed-chest compression during CPR as directed by MD or RN.
• Doula/Birthing Center – Provide continuous support to laboring women, provide support and education to postpartum patients and assist in patient care activities and non-direct patient care activities as directed.
• Radiology – In addition to patient interaction, volunteers assist the department in escorting patients to exam rooms, positively identify patients before procedures, help position and transfer patients to and from gurney, stock supplies in exam and scan rooms (i.e. gowns, sheets, bags, gloves, etc.), and shadow technologist through each modality (Radiology, CT, MRI, Ultrasound, Surgeries).
• Information Desk/Wayfinder – Welcome guests to SFGH and Give out campus directions. Help discharged patients with transportation, assists patients, Visitors and Staff with wheelchair escort.